News: Trouble logging in? Log in from the login page.
March 24, 2019, 06:18:07 am

Author Topic: DIY Desktop speakers for Quickie/Quicksand combo?  (Read 137 times)

Offline Deke609

DIY Desktop speakers for Quickie/Quicksand combo?
« on: March 11, 2019, 06:49:06 am »
Hi all - I'd like to get my son set up with a pair of desktop speakers to go with his Quickie and Quicksand.  DIY is a must - kit, or if need be, building from a schematic (the limiter here is that I don't have a tool for cutting large holes and would have to macgyver something to do the job, unless there's a cheap but effective tool/attachment commercially available).

Listening will be near field (2-5 ft), so I'm guessing sensitivity isn't much of an issue.

Suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Derek

Derek
______

Roon Intel NUC ->  Yggdrasil DAC -> BeePre (w/ BeeQuiet and JJs)  -> Stereomour II (45 Conversion - fully upgraded)  -> Audeze LCD4

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Re: DIY Desktop speakers for Quickie/Quicksand combo?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 07:17:01 am »
For what it's worth, I had to cut some 6-8" holes in sheet aluminum recently, for my race bike. That was just beyond the capabilities of the fly cutter that fits on my drill press. I bought a circle cutting jig for a Dremel tool for about $12. It will do holes up to 12". I clamped the aluminum to a sheet of 3/4 plywood and the cutter had no problem zipping through both materials. The finish of the hole edge isn't as clean and perfect as a fly cutter makes, but it's perfectly serviceable for a driver mounting hole.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/tools/678-01-circle-cutter-straight-edge-guide
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Deke609

Re: DIY Desktop speakers for Quickie/Quicksand combo?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 08:22:11 am »
Thanks Doc and PB.

The Overnight Sensations look great and are priced right, so I ordered a pair.  The ready-made knockdown panels will allow my 9yo son to build them with minimal assistance from me -- rather than the other way round.

Derek
______

Roon Intel NUC ->  Yggdrasil DAC -> BeePre (w/ BeeQuiet and JJs)  -> Stereomour II (45 Conversion - fully upgraded)  -> Audeze LCD4