News: Trouble logging in? Log in from the login page.
April 19, 2019, 09:16:46 am

Author Topic: Rarely Mentioned: The ZMF Auteur  (Read 631 times)

Offline attmci

Re: Rarely Mentioned: The ZMF Auteur
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 05:10:38 pm »
Just back from AXPONA.  Talked to Zach yesterday briefly and today for a bit longer.  Came home with a pair of Auteurs.  Got a great deal on these as he tried to show me some blemish on them that I can't find but I certainly wasn't going to argue with him!  Also provided the upgraded RCA cable (just the OFC - 1 step up from basic) and he threw in the XLR basic cable.  Quite the deal!

Got them on the Mainline and have been listening for a couple of hours.  Very nice.
Did you try the Verite? That's another interesting headphone introduced at end of last year. :)

Offline Deke609

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 05:03:35 am »
How much power can the Auteur's handle? I can't find any specs on that.  These headphones are getting some pretty good reviews, with a number of reviewers stating that the Auteurs compare favorably with Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3 - both of which like a fair amount of wattage.  They're not planars, so I expect they don't need as much juice as the LCD series, but I wonder if they'd open up even more through a S.E.X. or even a Stereomour? (I listen to my LCD-4s through a Stereomour ).  I seem to recall that one reviewer paired his Auteurs with a HeadAmp GS-X - a solid state amp that can put out up to about 6W (3 Wpc).  Any Auteur owners out there with a S.E.X. or Stereomour willing to give this a try and post impressions?

Derek
______

Roon Intel NUC ->  Yggdrasil DAC -> BeePre (w/ BeeQuiet and JJs)  -> Stereomour II (45 Conversion - fully upgraded)  -> Audeze LCD4

Offline ALL212

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 06:00:51 am »
I find Zach's naming conventions a bit confusing so I really don't know if I did audition the Verite.  I was looking for a price point/deal and came away very happy.

I believe the Auteur is 300 ohm.  I've run it on the Mainline and had it about the same volume settings as the Senn HD800s with plenty of volume and more "clicks" to go if needed.  Given some time I'll try them on the S.E.X. but I really don't think you'd need the Stereomour to run them effectively.  I do have the speaker terminal to headphone jack adapter so it could be that I'll try them on that eventually.

I'm down a DAC right now (Yggy is heading to Washington for the analog board upgrade) so my S.E.X. system is crippled as I've stolen the Bifrost from it to run the main rig.
Aaron Luebke

Offline elnrik

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 08:05:08 pm »
How much power can the Auteur's handle? I can't find any specs on that.  These headphones are getting some pretty good reviews, with a number of reviewers stating that the Auteurs compare favorably with Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3 - both of which like a fair amount of wattage.  They're not planars, so I expect they don't need as much juice as the LCD series, but I wonder if they'd open up even more through a S.E.X. or even a Stereomour? (I listen to my LCD-4s through a Stereomour ).  I seem to recall that one reviewer paired his Auteurs with a HeadAmp GS-X - a solid state amp that can put out up to about 6W (3 Wpc).  Any Auteur owners out there with a S.E.X. or Stereomour willing to give this a try and post impressions?

They are 300 ohm cans, but they are all north of 96dB SPL/mW efficient.  I've driven my Eikon, Auteur, and Verite from the Crack, and they all love it.  Plenty of volume left, and they have no issue with slam or driver control.  I've also run the Eikon from a dragonfly black on a laptop, and it's passable, but could be much better.  It starts to muffle bass at any volume above 80dB-ish, which is louder than I usually listen to them.

The Auteur is not hard to drive, but it scales well with better amps and loves clean sounding tubes.

Offline Deke609

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 03:16:10 am »
Thanks Aaron and elnrik - It sounds like the Auteurs and the Crack are a very nice match. In which case, the next step up in amplification might be the Crack-a-two-a with its shunt voltage regulation. With my Stereomour, going from stock to stock+shunt reg was a night and day improvement (and I was pretty happy with the stock sound).

... but I'm still curious to know whether the Auteurs play well with a S.E.X.
Derek
______

Roon Intel NUC ->  Yggdrasil DAC -> BeePre (w/ BeeQuiet and JJs)  -> Stereomour II (45 Conversion - fully upgraded)  -> Audeze LCD4

Offline ALL212

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 03:52:19 am »
I'm closer to testing but until the Yggy gets back I'm going to put the S.E.X. test  ::) on hold.

Cable parts came in yesterday.  Furez on both ends.  Between the new Hako soldering iron and that brand this was very easy to do.  Now I've got 12' instead of 5'.

Pinout on the mini XLR:  Pin 1 is signal, Pin 3 is ground.

Aaron Luebke