News: Reduction and BeePre on sale this week!
June 23, 2017, 10:53:00 pm

Author Topic: Steampunk Crack  (Read 365 times)

Offline TomS68

• View Profile
Steampunk Crack
« on: June 07, 2017, 02:35:30 am »
Pics of a recently completed Crack build.

Tom Stanley
General Manager Cables For Less

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:58:28 am by TomS68 »

Offline caffeinator

• View Profile
Re: Steampunk Crack
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 02:48:05 am »
Hey Tom568,

That's very striking - love it!  Please post another pic or two, and, if you wouldn't mind, how did you get that effect on the top plate?  From what wood did you make the base?

Beautiful work!

Offline TomS68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 03:54:48 am »
That is a taller cabinet I had made using one inch thick quartered oak and 1/8 inch copper plates (three of them, top, front and back.)  The top plate alone weighs two pounds, this is not a light amp. I finished the cabinet with golden oak Danish oil and carnauba wax. The patina on the copper plate was done with ammonia and sea salt and then sealed with a clear finish. I built a headphone rack to match using the  steampunk theme, copper pipe, brass and gears. Note I used dual Alps single ganged pots for separate left and right volume control, dual vu meters, etc. All cables plug in the back and the headphone jack is on the right side.  I also modified some California Headphone Silverado headphones by upgrading the drivers to 250 ohm and changed them from closed to open. I did all work except for wooden cabinet construction, I lack the saws and router needed.

It may not look it but I have a large opening under the brass gears as a vent hole, and the open area is a bit larger than the original from head dissipation. I am building a second crack that will have shiny copper and the exact same plate and control setup as well as the VU meters. Top plate is standard size, front and back plates are four inches square and I have room on the back plate to do preamp outputs. I need to clean up the wiring on the inside before I post photos but I redid a lot of the wiring using Belden shielded cable and 14 awg ground wire between the plates. I drilled into the underside of the copper for proper grounding. I can build a standard crack amp in about five hours (just wiring, not cabinet finish) but all the extras probably put my total build time at about 15 hours. It is good to know this since I have a few requests to build more of these for family and friends.

Tom Stanley
General Manager Cables For Less
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:12:48 am by TomS68 »

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • View Profile
    • Zynsonix.com
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:27:06 am »
Very nice work and a well controlled patina! Did you use a plastic bin for the fume chamber? How many hours did you let it set if you don't mind my asking?
My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com