News: S.E.X. 3.0 now shipping
April 24, 2017, 05:20:13 am

Author Topic: Tubes and pipes  (Read 359 times)

Offline troplin

• View Profile
Tubes and pipes
« on: April 15, 2017, 01:00:26 am »
Here's my new computer setup with S.E.X 3.0 and Blumenstein Orcas.
The table/shelve is made from 3/4" pipes.

Tobias

Offline borism

• View Profile
Re: Tubes and pipes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 02:37:42 am »
Beautiful!
Boris

Offline Karl5150

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 03:35:58 am »
Nice work Tobias. I'll bet all those Ts, elbows and flanges make that well executed industrial piece a pricy bit of kit.
Karl
Analog: RP1>Reduction>Stereomour II>Tekton OB4.5 & DIY "S8" subs
Digital: CD5004>Quickie>Seductor>FH3
Headphones: Crack>Crackheadphones
Office: x12>SEX 2.1>Superzero 2.1

Offline Caucasian Blackplate

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:38:03 pm »
I have to ask, how long did it take you to prep and paint all that pipe?  At least where I live, that kind of pipe is super dirty when you buy it and covered with some kind of gunk that isn't meant to come off!

The rack looks great!
Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Online mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 11:21:56 pm »
That is really cool, both the aesthetics and ingenuity of it 8)
M.McCandless

Offline troplin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 10:59:47 am »
Nice work Tobias. I'll bet all those Ts, elbows and flanges make that well executed industrial piece a pricy bit of kit.

Yes it was a bit more than I initially anticipated, even if it's cheapest china stuff.
But then again, I don't really care. It's not something you can just buy in a store and it fits the room nicely.
After all the bottlehead kits and the speakers were not exactly cheap neither.
And I also like such experimental projects, it's fun and not difficult to do. It's nowhere near professional quality, but it doesn't have to.

I prefer to do things myself and to own things that I care about, even if it's a bit more expensive from time to time.
Just today I finished the repair of the old bike I use to commute to the train station. Only the spare parts cost me more than I paid for the entire bike 4 years ago, not to mention the work. I could have just bought a new (used) one, but being able to repair it is also a good feeling.

I have to ask, how long did it take you to prep and paint all that pipe?  At least where I live, that kind of pipe is super dirty when you buy it and covered with some kind of gunk that isn't meant to come off!

The pipes are actually just the raw metal, not painted or coated. I don't know if they will rust if I leave it like that. time will tell. But I like the look of rust, so that's nothing I'm worried about. If it's too much I'll wipe a bit of linseed oil on it.

The pipes were not particularly dirty, except for the threading. The fittings more so. (Is "fitting" the correct word, or a real english word? It's what they are usually called in German). They were covered with a thin film of some kind of gray grease that's quite difficult to get off. It's not really visible on the metal, only on your hands after you touch it. I just cleaned them with a general purpose cleaner and a sponge. But I didn't invest too much time and they are certainly not totally clean. But since I didn't paint them, that's not critical.

Offline Caucasian Blackplate

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:52:44 am »
They were covered with a thin film of some kind of gray grease that's quite difficult to get off. It's not really visible on the metal, only on your hands after you touch it.
Yeah, both our pipes and our fittings here come covered in that goop!
Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man